Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Water Tips | Fire Tips | Biohazard Tips | Mold Tips
Have you been in a fire? Are you looking for the best way to get your home or business back to normal?
At SERVPRO of Beaufort County, Hilton Head, Bluffton, Jasper, we know how devastating a fire can be. We also know that with the right team on your side, you can get through it.
We offer a full range of fire damage cleanup and restoration services that will leave your property looking better than ever before. We can handle anything from smoke damage to water damage caused by firefighting efforts. If you don't want to do any of the work yourself—or if it's just too much for you—we'll take care of everything for you!
Check out our Fire Damage Tips down below to learn more about steps you can take after a fire.
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (843) 815-6923
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.